Monday, December 6, 2010

Santa Claus - Christmas Advent Day #6

Santa Claus, did I ever send a letter to Santa Claus? Oh my, yes. For as long as I can remember there has been a letter to Santa Claus. Every Christmas the highlight would be Aunt Dee and Uncle Dennis who came from West Virginia. And Aunt Dee would always make a big deal about our letters to Santa Claus. Up until a few years ago Aunt Dee would still come up for Christmas, and every year there would be a letter to Santa Claus. Of course, as we started leaving home and starting our own families, we began our own letter writing. But Aunt Dee would still write about all of us in her letters to Santa. We have been writing letters to Santa every year since we have been married. Then as the kids got older they started taking over that responsibility. Heather still writes our letters. I just wish, way back when the kids were younger that I had kept all of those letters. I have been for several years now, but not all of them have been kept. Did I ever set on Santa's lap? My biggest memory of that is seeing Santa in the Poland's store in Bel Air. But I think I was afraid, and not sure I ever actually sat on his lap. Our Santa was always my grandfather. I did not catch on to who it really was until I was about 7 or 8. Of course, being the oldest of my brother and my cousins, I could not say anything to the others. But they all eventually figured it out. Even when Chrissy was little, Poppop would put on his Santa suit, and come over and visit Chrissy. It took her several years to warm up to being so close to Santa Claus, even in the mall. But she finally learned to like Santa.

No comments: