Thursday, December 2, 2010

Holiday Foods - Advent Day 2

For as long as I can remember, my grandmother always made a ham and a turkey for Christmas, not to mention all the side dishes she made. The best side dish for me, was sweet potatoes. I can remember my grandfather always taking the ham or turkey in and out of the oven to check or baste it. We had a table spread full of food for Christmas. Even when she moved into the mobile home, she still cooked all of this food. I don't remember anything unusual. She even made from scratch all the pies and other desserts. She has been gone now for 21 years. Heather was not even two when she died, so she missed those holiday meals. I have such fond memories of those earlier Christmases. Between her and my grandfather, they always made Christmas something to be remembered. So I have always tried to make our Christmases something that our kids and grandkids will remember as fondly as I remember past Christmases. And those certain foods, that even now my kids have to have for the holidays, have now become a tradition.

No comments: