Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Vacation 2011 - part 4

Thursday morning finds us on our way to NC and VA. We make our way through the state of Tennessee, driving another 6 hours. We make a pit spot in Marion Va, then hit route 16, headed to Troutdale, VA. I was able to see my cousins, Debbie and Rosie, and my Aunt Artie, whom I haven't seen in over ten years. What a host of memories that came flooding back. On our way to Troutdale, we passed the entrance to Mt Rogers Park. So many times, when I was younger, a bunch of us would go up on the top. The curves were outrageous.

My aunt Artie is my grandmother's youngest sister. My grandmother left us long ago, and seeing Aunt Artie was very emotional for me, since she looks so much like Granny. Again, many memories came flooding back from being in Aunt Artie's house. Being a kid, and laying in bed upstairs, listening to all the adults in the kitchen talking, or the outhouse that was in the backyard (that was actually the bathroom), the hand pump at the kitchen sink, listening to the ghost stories, and so many more. So glad that I got to see these ladies. Wish I could have had time to see more of my relatives, lots of catching up to do. After this short visit, we finally arrived at our destination in Fancy Gap, Va. Our next stop, has to do with Sheriff Andy. To be continued.....

No comments: